Home » Horticulture
Horticulture is often defined as the art and science of growing plants – flowers, fruits, vegetables, trees and more! Research shows an intimate connection between people and plants – fresh fruits and vegetables feed and nourish our bodies, trees shade and cool the places we live, flowers brighten our landscapes, and as research shows, our spirits too.
There is another side to horticulture as well. Invasive pests destroy our natural resources at a large financial and environmental cost. Additionally, the misuse and misunderstanding of pesticides causes pollution and health risks. Division of Extension programs aid in finding the appropriate, most cost effective and environmentally sound solutions that are best for you.
As the demand for horticultural products increase, Division of Extension programs aid in finding the appropriate, most cost effective and environmentally sound solutions that are best for the individual.
Ask Your Gardening Questions
- We are here to assist you with your indoor and outdoor plant, yard and landscape questions.
- Contact Julie, your Rock County Horticulture Outreach Specialist, directly with your gardening questions:
Text/Mobile – 262-374-4191
- Or use the Ask Your Gardening Question online form: https://hort.extension.wisc.edu/ask-a-gardening-question/
Additional gardening and horticulture resources can be found at the Wisconsin Horticulture Program website or you can use the quick links below:
- Join Wisconsin Horticulture Extension for the next series of free online gardening programs! Programs consist of a presentation, followed by time for live Q&A with the presenter. These events are free, but registration is required. If you can’t attend during the scheduled time slot, we will send the recorded version shortly after. This series is […]
- Fall/Winter 2023 UW-Madison Division of Extension Horticulture Program is offering FREE educational online programs to help you be more successful in your own yards, gardens, containers – anywhere you grow plants! Our next series, Houseplant Myth Busters, Tool Ideas and Succulent Spotlight, starts soon. Registration is required for each program. Participants can attend only one […]
- These engaging and free online programs are 20 minutes each, followed by Q&A. Registration is required for each program…. attend only one or all three! This series is open to the public. All programs in this series will be recorded. Go to https://bit.ly/3VWHZ7e to find out more and to register! Growing Garlic in Wisconsin Date/Time: August […]
- Visit the UW-Madison Extension Horticulture Program’s Wisconsin Celebrates Pollinator Week website: https://bit.ly/3Ni0ot0 Pollinators in Wisconsin and around the world are facing population declines for many reasons. You can help pollinators by getting involved in Wisconsin Celebrates Pollinator Week! By creating pollinator friendly habitats, reducing or eliminating environmental contamination from pesticides, and spreading the word about pollinators, […]
- Wednesday, June 21 6:30 p.m. Finding a balance in producing an attractive and functional lawn while minimizing contamination of nearby lakes can be difficult. In this seminar we will discuss strategies such as species selection, fertility application, and pest management that will allow you to enjoy your lawn while preserving the beauty of the nearby […]