Home » Health and Well-Being
The Extension Institute for Health & Well-Being works to catalyze positive change in Wisconsin communities to promote health and well-being. Our research-based programs are focused on food and nutrition security, chronic disease prevention, mental health promotion, substance use prevention, and access to health care. Rooted in both urban and rural communities, we’re working together to help solve the state’s most pressing well-being needs and to ensure that all Wisconsinites have the opportunity to live stronger, healthier lives.
Our programs include:
Working with local leaders to create healthier communities by building community skills, tools and resources to promote health
- WeCOPE (Connecting with Our Positive Emotions) is an evidence-based interactive program that helps adults to cope with both short- and long-term stress.
- QPR Gatekeeper Training for Suicide Prevention for any adults that would like to learn how to save the life of a youth or adult experiencing a suicide crisis in our community.
- Learning to Breathe is a mindfulness curriculum for adolescents to cultivate emotional regulation, attention, and performance.
- Mental Health First Aid is a skills-based training course that teaches participants about mental health and substance-use issues.
Healthy Eating & Active Living
Helping communities provide accessible and safe physical activity spaces and food sources
- The StrongBodies™ program (formerly known as StrongWomen™) is a 10-12 week exercise program is for all ages of men and women. Each class includes progressive weight training, flexibility, and balance activities. This program catalyzes positive change in people of all ages to live stronger, healthier lives by providing knowledge, inspiration, access to programs, and ongoing support.
- Research information on Food Safety & Food Preservation Extension can help you keep up to date on current food safety topics, product recalls and provide steps to help keep your family food-safe. Extension offers free research-tested recipes and tips for safely preserving the bounty of your farm or garden. Learn more about using a pressure canner, drying fruits and vegetables at home, fermenting delicious dill pickles, and much more. Always follow an up-to-date research tested recipe from Extension to ensure that you protect the health of loved ones as you preserve food at home.
Providing nutrition education to advance healthy eating habits and active lifestyles for families with limited incomes
- FoodWIse advances healthy eating habits, active lifestyles and healthy community environments for families with limited incomes through nutrition education at the individual, community and systems levels.
Center for Patient Partnerships
We do and teach health advocacy to make health care work better for everyone.
Connecting Wisconsin residents with health insurance and other programs that support health.
News and Information:
Wednesday, June 21 6:30 p.m. Finding a balance in producing an attractive and functional lawn while minimizing contamination of nearby lakes can be difficult. In this seminar we will discuss strategies such as species selection, fertility application, and pest management that will allow you to enjoy your lawn while preserving the beauty of the nearby […]
Sara Ennocenti is the new Health and Well-Being Educator for Division of Extension in Rock County. She works in Extension’s Institute of Health and Well-Being which creates positive change and works to help solve the most urgent well-being needs for Wisconsin families through evidenced based programs that are focused on nutrition, food security and safety, chronic […]
Every year May 29th (5/29) is celebrated as “529 Day.” It is a day to learn about the benefits of saving early for higher education for children, because a little savings can go a long way to building future dreams. Why “529 Day”? Because 529 College Savings Plans are named for Section 529 of the […]
StrongBodies programs are back! Sign up today for sessions starting in September. Classes in Janesville, Evansville and Online! StrongBodies™ (also known as StrongWomen™) is a national evidence-based strength training program developed at Tufts University and is aimed at mid-life and older women and men. The StrongBodies™ program includes progressive strength training and balance and flexibility […]